Peaks of the Balkans
Walks Worldwide bring you Peaks of the Balkans, a 15 day, group guided tour.
Inspired by the likes of Robert Carver's book "The Accursed Mountains", Edith Durham's "High Albania", Edward Lear's "Journeys of a Landscape Painter in the Balkans", and even the exploits of Lord Byron, we have taken a handful of adventurers on some incredible treks in this stunning country. On this recce trip you will head out on an exciting journey with some of our most adventurous clients to recce this hike into the Albanian Alps and beyond...
- A remote and challenging Balkan alpine adventure
- Hike the spectacular ridge of Berizhdol
- Incredible views of the Accursed Mountains
- Hike the Perja pass from Montenegro to Albania
- Hike the Pass of Valbona to the Valbona Valley
- Climb to the peak of 'Tre Kujfit' (three borders) between Albania, Montenegro and Kosovo
- Summit Mount Korab
- Day 1 Rendezvous and welcome at Tirana International Airport. A single timed group transfer is provided to the group hotel in Shkodra.
- Day 2 Take a trip along the shores of beautiful Shkodra Lake into the remote region of Kelmendi, before taking a hike to the spectacular waterfall of Sllapi. We will overnight at a cosy guest house in Lepushe.
- Day 3 Hike through the Bordolec pass and on to the open pastures of Koprisht before taking on the Berizhodol Ridge for stunning panoramic views of the Accursed Mountains.
- Day 4 Today we'll hike through the Pass of Perdolec to the Peak of Greben, where we'll be greeted with spectacular views of the surrounding mountain ranges. In the afternoon we'll descend into Vermoshi, enjoying a picnic lunch en route in a shepherds hut.
- Day 5 We'll transfer by bus this morning crossing the border of Montenegro to the town of Gucija. We'll enjoy a leisurely walk today and lunch at a local Albanian restaurant, before heading to the town of Plavafor a night in a waterfront hotel.
- Day 6 Today it's time for the horses to be loaded with our luggage and we'll head off on our hike to the valley of Thethi - the heartof the Albanian Alps. We'll take lunch on the Peja Pass looking over the valley of Theth before making our way down.
- Day 7 We'll explore the villages of Thethi today and discover the rich culture of the area. Tonight's dinner will be home-cooked and hosted by a local family.
- Day 8 The horses will be loaded once again and then we'll head off on the pass towards the valley of Valbona. The pass is one of the best known paths in the Alps and remains the only direct connection with the Valley of Valbona.
- Day 9 Heading into the remote mountains of Eastern Albania today we'll head to the border with Montenegro today at 'Pyramid 18' located at 2000m. Tonight we will have the privilege of staying with a local shepherd's family where we'll be treated to a home cooked meal and the opportunity to experience a completely different way of life.
- Day 10 Today we will transfer to the beautiful hamlet of Cerem - a beautiful gem visited by few. We'll take a circular walk through pristine alpine scenery to the Sqapit peak. The afternoon will be spent enjoying the tranquillity of Ceremi.
- Day 11 Once again the horses will be loaded and we'll move on towards the hamlet of Balqin used by local shepherds in the summer season.In the afternoon you can opt to relax or walk further to the alpine lakes above our mountain hut.
- Day 12 Today we'll climb towards the 'Tre Kujfit' (three borders) peak, marking the border between Albania, Kosovo and Montenegro. The views from the top are stunning and you'll be treated with spectacular views.The evening will be spent in the ottoman style neighbourhood of Prizren.
- Day 13 Today we will transfer by vehicle back to Albania through the town of Kukes and on to the Radomira region. It's a chance to resta bit today before taking on Mount Korab tomorrow.
- Day 14 We'll end our incredible adventure with an early morning start to the summit of Korab where we'll congratulate ourselves on our achievements and adventurous spirits. We'll spend our last night in the town of Tejza reflecting on our experience.
- Day 15 Departure Day
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust