An unspoiled, authentically Greek seaside village, Olymbiada is in an area of outstanding natural beauty and even boasts its own archaeological site, ancient Stagira, the birthplace of Aristotle. For a stay in this beautiful corner of Greek mainland, we cannot recommend the Liotopi Hotel more highly. Set in a lush garden just 50m from the sea, opposite the small fishing harbour, you are only a minute’s walk from the start of olymbiada’s long sandy beach.
Olymbiada is also renowned for its wealth of activities, which include:
- Botany: The mountains of Stratoniko and Cholomontas surrounding Olympiada enjoy a spectacular array of flora. Visitors are able to access these extremely pretty areas either by walking or by use of car.
- Bird Watching: Stratoniko and Cholomontas, the lake Volvi (approx 30 kms away), the lake Kerkini (approx 80 kms) and the wetlands of the nestos River delta (approx 160 kms by fast motorway) have a wide variety of bird life and are all on the main migratory routes. Access is by car.
- Cycling: Olymbiada provides the ideal surroundings for bicycle lovers. With the village on the flat, there are also easy cycle routes nearby on the plain, and a few more difficult ones up on the mountain. Mountain bikes are available free of charge to our hotel guests.
- Walking: There are many possible hiking routes and trails around Olympiada. Recently opened, the 26 km Aristotelian Trail - starting in Olymbiada - takes you up through the forested hills (under Natura 2000 protection) and ends at the inland village of Stageira.
- Olymbiada Festival: The entire village celebrates its main Saints day on 7th July. Following a procession from the church, the annual gathering includes unlimited free local mussels and wine. Definitely worth a visit we think!
As mentioned previously, Olymbiada also enjoys historic links with the great philosopher and scientist, Aristotle. In fact, it was the place of his birth, and to celebrate the 2400th anniversary of that very event, there will be a number of events taking place throughout 2016. Amongst other activities, a number of talks and tours will be taking place with some free of charge to Sunvil guests.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown