Thailand-Burma Railway - Limited Edition
Step back through history on this special journey along the Thai-Burma Railway from Yangon to Bangkok. Visit historic cemeteries, be moved by the thousands of names inscribed into local memorials, and ride along a section of the track past the River Kwai. While you’ll learn about the horrors POWs and slave labourers suffered during the railway’s construction, you’ll also hear tales of courage, survival and humanity. But it’s not all about the war; this adventure also takes in beautiful lakes, waterfalls and some of Myanmar’s – if not Asia’s – most striking and important temples.
- Learn about the history of the Thai–Burma Railway from both sides of the border in the company of expert local leaders.
- Discover the moving stories of the POWs and local slave labourers who perished during the railway's construction in WWII. Pay your respects at historic cemeteries and memorials, visit the bridge over the River Kwai and ride along the section of the old Death Railway.
- Spend a night in the mountain-set town of Kyaiktiyo, and witness Myanmar's famous Golden Rock as it's bathed in the light of sunrise.
- Catch a ferry to Bilu Island a for a fascinating look into local cottage industries.
- Visit the charming fishing village of Dawei. Relax on the beach, then join a local family for some delicious home-cooked cuisine.
- If your trip coincides with Anzac Day, remember the fallen during a dawn ceremony at Hellfire Pass, and enjoy a buffet dinner, dance performance and educational sound and light show at Weary Dunlop Park
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust