A journey that celebrates Japan’s shimmering wintertime charms. From Tokyo you’ll travel by bullet train to Hokkaido, Japan's northernmost island, for picturesque landscapes and a mesmerising celebration of natural, cultural and artistic delights. Take the Mount Hakodate Ropeway for a stunning view of this city. Be awestruck by a multitude of snow and ice sculptures at Sapporo's world-renowned Snow Festival before trying a few local brews at Sapporo's beer museum. Step back in time along the charming streets of Otaru and sample sake at an atmospheric brewery. Explore the marvelous winter mountains in Sounkyo and soak in the outdoor onsen like a true local for a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. Marvel at the balletic dancing of endangered red-crowned cranes at snow-covered Lake Akan.
- Japan is a year round destination and winter is one of the best times of the year to to experience it. The streets are lit up at night and blanketed in snow, the markets are bustling a piping hot bowl of ramen tastes especially good when it is below zero outside!
- This is a brief but full trip that gets the most out of the northern region of Hokkaido in a relatively short amount of time.
- Venture far afield to the remote Lake Akan and appreciate the beauty and fragility of the winter home of endangered cranes.
- Stroll along the snow covered canals of Otaru and try your hand at the local art - kitakarou glass blowing.
- The winter ice and snow festivals here are world famous for its huge and elaborate sculptures. Make sure you get your camera out and have your batteries charged as you will take far more photos than you expected!
- Warm up after your winter wanderings with visits to some of Japan's best-known breweries and whiskey distilleries.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown