It could be a combination of the mist rolling off the chilly peaks or the light breaching between the mountains, but there’s something that makes Tibet feel as if it’s caught in a hazy dream. In between the capital of China and the vast Tibetan Plateau, tiny, ornate villages share the Tibetan people’s inspiring sense of hope. Along the world’s highest railway en route to Lhasa, spirituality permeates through its remote monasteries, high mountain passes, homes and marketplaces. Delve into monastic rituals and marvel at the monolithic Mt Everest on this extraordinary journey.
ALTERNATE ITINERARY & CONTINGENCY FUND:
There have been recent cases where the Chinese Railway Bureau has not permitted foreign groups to travel from Beijing to Lhasa by train without any prior notice or specific reason. Please ensure you have access to your contingency fund of USD$500 in cash should your group be affected and needs to fly from Beijing to Lhasa. Please see Day 1 of your itinerary for details.
This trip will be discontinued as we resume the overland journey from Beijing to Kathmandu in 2020. Please check our Tibet:Beijing to Kathmandu Overland (CBST) trip if you are interested.
- Experience one of the world’s greatest train journeys – the railway to the roof of the world, crossing incredibly mountainous and remote terrain
- Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see it first-hand with hours to explore the Great Wall
- Get to know Lhasa, from the architectural wonder of the former home of the Dalai Lama to the incredible atmosphere of the pilgrim-filled Jokhang Temple, the holiest in the Tibetan Buddhist world
- Every drive in Tibet seems more stunning that the last. Climb phenomenal passes, twist up thrilling peaks, and take in incredible views of skies and lakes, where the only way to tell their perfect blue apart is the towering mountains that separate them
- Stand in the shadow of the mightiest mountain of them all with a trip to Everest Base Camp
- Finish your trip in the city of Chengdu - home to pandas and spicy Sichuan cuisine
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown