How do you get a grasp of China in just over a week? The big cities, misty countryside, sleepy rural villages and varied cuisine may seem overwhelming, but on a nine-day Lonely Planet Experience from Shanghai heading south, you’ll gain a tasteful insight into the tapestries of history and deep-seated traditions that make this region shine. Discover Yangshuo’s literary landscapes, Longji’s terraced rice fields, and the longtangs and tucked-away neighbourhoods that make Shanghai and Hong Kong such thriving centres of cuisine, culture and industry. Plus, with a group of likeminded adventurers joining you each step of the way, you’ll have more than one eager companion to share a plate of dumplings.
- The bright city lights of Shanghai are a perfect place to begin – stroll along the Bud, explore the ancient longtangs and get a taste of the renowned cuisine. You’ll definitely need more than a day!
- In Longji, hike the beautiful rice terraces that snake through the mountains of Longsheng like giant dragons, and visit hill tribe communities to learn of a local way of living.
- Enjoy time to sit back and relax beside the dramatic karst countryside of Yangshuo. This region, immortalised in countless traditional Chinese paintings, is a haven of exploration.
- Local knowledge goes a long way when it comes to really discovering the south of China. And with a leader to offer suggestions and tips along the way, you’ll be exploring, eating and drinking the best of the best.
- Cross the border into cosmopolitan Hong Kong – one of the world’s global cities, and a perfect place to extend your stay. Why not dig a little deeper and explore its up-and-coming neighbourhoods.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown