Embark on one of the most Intrepid experiences out there — a journey to Antarctica via the legendary Drake Passage. Departing from Ushuaia in late January, open your senses to the arrival of mid-summer and the full swing of the Antarctic season. At this time of year, ice and snow melts across the peninsula, giving way to glorious rocky beaches and prime opportunities for explorations by Zodiac. Every day on this continent this brings a new sight, sound and spectacle, as whales, penguin chicks and seabirds abound. With the comfortable and brand-new MV Hondius as a base, enjoy the benefits of an expert leader, full expedition crew, and onboard naturalists whose lectures elevate the experience of this great southern continent to new heights.
- The wildlife viewing opportunities are incredible in Antarctica, and the abundance of creatures is astounding for such a harsh, out-there location. Scan the ocean for seals; keep an eye out for minke, humpback and orca whales; clock rare birds soaring over Beagle Channel; and watch gentoo, Adelie and chinstrap penguins out and about
- Antarctic fauna is only part of the spectacle. The terrain of earth’s extreme south is like nowhere else, and the first sight of an iceberg calving into the ocean is a memorable moment
- Those game can enjoy the most invigorating swim ever – a polar plunge in the sub-zero Antarctic waters
- Presentations throughout the journey fill in crucial background information on both natural and human history of the area, from the legendary explorers to geology, flora and fauna
- Your vessel, the MV Hondius, is state of the art. It’s comfortable, brand new, and ice-strengthened to the highest standard, making it the strongest ship to be navigating Antarctic waters
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown