Escape the trekking crowds and follow the trail to Choquequirao on a 13-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. Hike steep paths that zigzag through dense cloud forest, past dusty desert and over high-altitude passes to views of snow-capped peaks. Believed to be up to three times larger than Machu Picchu, Choquequirao has a secluded splendour that will leave you in awe, and with a local leader joining you each step of the way, you’ll experience this Inca marvel in all its glory. Continue on through Peru, visiting to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu, and bookended with a visit to the high-flying centre of Cusco, embark on an all-encompassing Inca adventure with a group of likeminded travellers.
- Tucked high in the Andes, Choquequirao may not get the same fanfare as Machu Picchu, but is no less spectacular. Few visitors make the journey each day, meaning you often have the whole Inca site to yourself!
- Your trek through the Apurimac Valley to Choquequirao may be challenging, but it’s incredibly scenic. See cloud forests and canyons, high passes and snow-capped peaks, often without another trekking group in sight.
- After visiting Choquequirao, continue on to enjoy a guided tour of Peru’s most acclaimed Inca city, Machu Picchu, as well as the Inca citadels of Pisac and Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley.
- Spend time exploring artisan markets, lively squares, historic sites and thriving nightlife in Cusco – South America’s oldest continuously inhabited city, and an interesting blend of Inca and colonial influences.
- With a knowledgeable local leader and a team of guides and porters assisting you along the trail, all you have to worry about is keeping your footing and capturing the best photos you can.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown