Alaska may be part of the USA, but it feels like another world. This Lonely Planet Experience gives the freedom to hike, kayak, climb or fly your way through the iconic Denali and Wrangell-St Elias national parks. It’s a big, bold landscape filled with incredible mountain ranges, diverse wildlife and shining glaciers. Delve well and truly deep into the wild before reemerging into civilisation with stops in Anchorage and Valdez, and have plenty of free time to explore this beautiful landscape at your own pace.
- Drive across frozen plains and past massive peaks, walk across remote tundras to glacial rivers and kayak in the spectacular waters of Prince William Sound.
- Look out for diverse wildlife like moose, grizzly bears, and wolves in Denali National Park, then get close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on an optional kayak trip among glaciers in Valdez.
- See North America's biggest collection of glaciers and some of its tallest, most impressive mountains in Wrangell-St Elias National Park – the world's largest internationally protected area.
- See both sides of the Kenai Peninsula – Homer, with remote beaches and the stunning Kachemak Bay State Park, and Seward, with accessible glaciers and marine life.
- Spend two nights at a remote hostel that can only be accessed by kayak or water taxi.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown