Forums

This is the place for you to ask your travel questions and share your tips. To search for particular topics, go to categories and choose a relevant topic

Thailand travel research

Hi there,

My name is Charlotte Wilkie and I am from Falmouth University. As part of my course I am completing a research project on wildlife tourist attractions in Thailand. I am trying to test my hypothesis that there is no future for the cruel tourist attractions that feature elephants performing tricks. Please could you fill out my survey to help me gather your opinions on the matter? It will only take about 2 minutes to complete! 

Thank you! 
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/L23X2J9

Report as inappropriate
    chwilk

1 posts | 0 responses

16 days ago

Responses

Hi Charlotte,

I participated in your survey. I find your research very important. I, personally, visited Thailand and wrote about Thailand's attractions and tourist destinations.

http://travel-tourist-information-guide.com/thailand

Then, I heard from news that some of these wildlife tourist destinations are actually abusing the elephants. I removed all the sections promoting these kinds of activities. If visiting Thailand and wanted to check out the wildlife, there are safe sanctuaries that allows guests to watch the animals and have a close encounter without harming them. Plus the cost of tours also goes to the maintenance of the animals. Your research can help abolish cruelties to the animals, but should also encourage tourists to refrain from seeing elephant tricks, and just check out the wildlife in the sanctuaries with their natural habitat instead.

Report as inappropriate
    arianne

1 post | 3 responses

16 days ago

I've been in Thailand for around three years, and am sad to say that there are still elephant rides. One piece of good news is that the elephant rescue and orphanage sanctuary on Phuket has opened to the public, so you can visit them (not ride them) in the knowledge that they are being rescued and cared for: http://www.phuketelephantsanctuary.org/

There's also a gibbon sanctuary on Phuket: https://www.gibbonproject.org/

Will answer your survey.

Report as inappropriate
    Liz Cleere

82 post | 623 responses

15 days ago

There are many genuine sanctuaries across Thailand where the elephants are very well cared for, often with one mahout (minder) per elephant almost full time, luxury caring indeed. They usually permit a couple of hours interaction with visitors each day (sometimes including short rides) and this is all very acceptable and commendable and indeed enjoyable for the animals. It most certainly is not all gloom and doom across Thailand!!

All visitors need to do to visit the right ones is some internet research. There are some within a day trip of both Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai, a little off the normal tourist trails. It is really important NOT TO go as part of an organised tour group, as they mainly frequent the bigger commercial ones that are often inhumane to the animals.

Report as inappropriate
    mijb

5 post | 110 responses

6 days, 15 hours ago

You must be logged in to add to this post

myWanderlust

Welcome to our community

Member Login

Not a member?

Get more from Wanderlust - register today!

Search

Enter a region, country or destination

Find a member:

Most Popular Categories

select
select
select
select
Departure date:
RadDatePicker
RadDatePicker
Open the calendar popup.
Return date:
RadDatePicker
RadDatePicker
Open the calendar popup.
Date flexibility:
Spin UpSpin Down
Search

Need some travel planning inspiration?

Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.

Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking. Enjoy!

Search
Email

Wanderlust in your inbox

Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!

I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions

Submit