Forums

This is the place for you to ask your travel questions and share your tips. To search for particular topics, go to categories and choose a relevant topic

Scotland's western isles

In a couple of weeks my boyfriend and I are heading to Scotland's westerns isles for about 10 days. We're looking to do a bit of camping, stay in the odd B&B, some windsurfing and some kayaking.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been , or who lives there! Any tips and tricks are really appreciated too.

Report as inappropriate
    Sarah Kiernan

7 posts | 2 responses

Posted 11 September 08

Responses

I went to Mull back in May this year and it's one of the best places I've been in the UK for wildlife. On land, there's plenty of birdlife to spot and you'll see much more if you join one of the very informal nature tours around the island - just ask at one of the tourist information offices for details. At sea, there are whale watching trips from several Tobermory and Ulva with good success rates for sightings (check out the Hebredean Whale & Dolphin Trust for details). The Treshnish Isles are also worth a visit, particularly if the Puffins are still on the island at this time of year. Hope you get some reasonable weather and that the midges have given up for the summer!

Report as inappropriate
    Ross Bishop

4 post | 43 responses

Posted 12 September 08

I particularly like the small island of Barra. It's easily combined with the other Outer Hebrides - and with Skye if you want. If you have not already looked at Calmac's Island Hoppers, it could well help.

Report as inappropriate
    davidx

13 post | 9 responses

Posted 13 September 08

Thanks for the tips. Fingers crossed the weather is not too bad. Sarah

Report as inappropriate
    Sarah Kiernan

7 post | 2 responses

Posted 15 September 08

In no particular order, I like Iona, Barra, Islay and Jura. And do lookinto Calmac's Island Hopscotch ticket. Enjoy!

Report as inappropriate
    DavidF

35 post | 112 responses

Posted 17 September 08

Island of Rum is a superb place. Kinloch Castle is really worth a visit, it was abandoned by a very rich Victorian merchant and it is exactly as he left it - He was a bit of chancer so the guided talks are superb. You can stay in the castle if you want in a dorm. Alan

Report as inappropriate
    wolfpaw

6 post | 9 responses

Posted 22 September 08

You should also try going to Eigg. It´s quite easy to get to from the mainland (try Arisaig or Mallaig). The community there are extra friendly, and they have a lot to show for it. They now even have their own wind farm. I was there last year for their 10th anniversary ceilidh... Best time I´ve had in a long time. One of my friends from home recently moved there and she loves it. Just beware of midgies during summer!

Report as inappropriate
    KirstyP1

0 post | 4 responses

Posted 13 October 08

You must be logged in to add to this post

myWanderlust

Welcome to our community

Member Login

Not a member?

Get more from Wanderlust - register today!

Search

Enter a region, country or destination

Find a member:

Most Popular Categories

select
select
select
select
Departure date:
Open the calendar popup.
Return date:
Open the calendar popup.
Date flexibility:
Spin UpSpin Down
Search

Need some travel planning inspiration?

Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.

Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking. Enjoy!

Search
Email

Wanderlust in your inbox

Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!

I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions

Submit