Forums

This is the place for you to ask your travel questions and share your tips. To search for particular topics, go to categories and choose a relevant topic

Inspirational travel films/books.

Sad to say it, but i watched The Beach again yesterday. Since visiting Thailand the film, and the book to a higher degree, bring back great memories, and fill me with the desire to set off again, sooner rather than later. Just wondering what films or books do it for you?

Report as inappropriate
    Steve2409

3 posts | 35 responses

Posted 22 November 07

Responses

Basically any book or film that has anywhere other than England in! Its become a standing joke that I can't watch a film or read a book without getting itchy feet.....

Report as inappropriate
    MatieK

5 post | 22 responses

Posted 22 November 07

Holy Cow by Sarah MacDonald made me want to see a lot more of India. Having only been to Goa and Kerala sure, I have the stamp on my passport, but I still don't feel like I've been to India somehow...

Report as inappropriate
    haggis99

0 post | 10 responses

Posted 23 November 07

Just bought Bridge Over The River Kwai,a nd even though its hardly a travel film in the exotic sense, its bringing back memories of relaxing in Kanchanaburi. Oh to dream

Report as inappropriate
    Steve2409

3 post | 35 responses

Posted 24 November 07

I love Eleni by Nick Gage. I am very interested in Greece and its history, and this book covers a reallife story during the Greek Civil War. I would highly recommend it.

Report as inappropriate
    Laurabelle

2 post | 27 responses

Posted 13 February 08

For me Memoirs of a Geisha inspired me to go to Japan. Its such an incredible country full of mystery and secrets. I have also written a book based on some of my travels and its just been published - so please check it out if you are looking for inspiration! Its called Global Adventures in Style by Luxury Backpackers - I have compiles all the copy and my husband has taken all the photos - xx

Report as inappropriate
    jill loves backpacking

6 post | 27 responses

Posted 13 February 08

Shantaram - I started reading this in India and it made me look at the locals differently (in a good way). He describes things that you see in such an amazing way, better than I could ever deescribe it myself. Didnt get the chance to visit Mumbai (Bombay) where it is mainly set but I will definitely go on my next trip.

Report as inappropriate
    Boogie

0 post | 4 responses

Posted 15 May 08

Lord of the Rings - this is without a doubt a great adver for New Zealand.

Report as inappropriate
    Boogie

0 post | 4 responses

Posted 15 May 08

Any of the Inspector Rebus novels by Ian Rankin. If you haven't been to Edinburgh these will make you want to.

Report as inappropriate
    Boogie

0 post | 4 responses

Posted 15 May 08

You must be logged in to add to this post

myWanderlust

Welcome to our community

Member Login

Not a member?

Get more from Wanderlust - register today!

Search

Enter a region, country or destination

Find a member:

Most Popular Categories

select
select
select
select
Departure date:
Open the calendar popup.
Return date:
Open the calendar popup.
Date flexibility:
Spin UpSpin Down
Search

Need some travel planning inspiration?

Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.

Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking. Enjoy!

Search
Email

Wanderlust in your inbox

Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!

I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions

Submit