Forums

This is the place for you to ask your travel questions and share your tips. To search for particular topics, go to categories and choose a relevant topic

I'm absolutely flippin' fuming. Let's start a petition!

The BBC are going to axe Radio 4's Excess Baggage.

What a really crap decision. Yes, Saturday Live is a good way to ease in the weekend, but why can't they axe one of the repeated shows that come along later in the day? You can listen to the podcasts of The Now Show, Money Box and From Our Own Correspondent. The Now Show was on Radio 4 less than 24 hours before its repeat performance. Money Box is repeated on Sunday, and From Our Own Correspondent is on the World Service, for God's sake. As for Any Questions, it was on the previous evening. Why not get rid of the waste of space that is Any Answers (full of idiots who can't express themselves and think I'm interested in their opinion)?

Clever old BBC. Get rid of one of the only programmes unique to Saturday's schedule and keep all the bloody repeats.

Bloody fuming. I mean it, really bloody fuming.

Anyone at the Towers or any MyWanderlusters interested in helping me start a petition?

Report as inappropriate
    Liz Cleere

81 posts | 600 responses

Posted 20 March 12

Responses

Say it ain't so!  I'm with you all the way Liz.  I was full of umbrage when they announced that Newsweek Scotland was going, the only programme you get on Radio Scotland that has the slightest degree of political impartiality.  But Excess Baggage too!

Saturday mornings are made for radio and after Newsweek we get Saturday Live, then EB and the rest, before footie takes over.  It's made for a pot of fresh ground coffee and a morning rag, or at least the supplement with the book reviews and travel articles.  But whither now?

Petition?  You'll just get the usual blurb from the state-funded broadcaster about complaints procedures etc and I could give you the standard wording in response to any complaint you may care to lodge.  What we need is a new outlet for Sandi and John, and bring back Fi Glover when we're at it.  Radio Wanderlust, sounds good to me.

Report as inappropriate
    KDBR

2 post | 118 responses

Posted 21 March 12

Interesting one on Any Questions, which is also part of my Saturday routine.

A few months ago I was  wandering down to my Saturday afternoon routine, the football match, average crowd a few hundred, kick off 2.00 except in depths of winter when it has to be earlier being sans floodlights.  Bright sunny day, a rare one.  Fifteen minutes before kick off, and I'd been eschewing the live game on the wireless in favour of AQs.  Walking past parked cars, known faces from the terraces at the wheels; windows down, radios on.  Each and every one was listening to AQs.  Staggered I was, expecting the usual football phone in or live commentary.

Perhaps it says something for the particular terrace I frequent, but I think it says more for AQs.  Now if we happened to kick off in the morning, I suspect it just might be EB coming from those radios.

One John McCarthy, there's only one John McCarthy.  Waiting on his new book to arrive, eagerly.

Report as inappropriate
    KDBR

2 post | 118 responses

Posted 21 March 12

Me too! I've got podcasts of EB going back to 2008 that I still listen to and love. Fingers crossed we can pull a 6Music on this one

Report as inappropriate
    clarewilson86

3 post | 20 responses

Posted 21 March 12

I don't beleeeeeeeeeeeve it! So agree with comments. Excess Baggage is one of the best travel programmes on ANY medium, not just radio. Its mix of interesting interviewees combined with Sandy Toksvig & John McCarthy's quirky take on the subject combine to make a varied mix of a programme that has something for everyone.

Good luck with the campaign. I'll put your campaign on The Quirky Traveller Face Book page and if you want to put something on my blogsite please do. Let me know if there is anything else we can do!

Report as inappropriate
    quirkytraveller

0 post | 1 responses

Posted 21 March 12

Me too, I'll sign it! Angry. (I can't stand Any Answers either Liz!)
    Also on an aside note: Has anyone heard the new thing they're doing on Tuesday afternoons? (Possibly called Global Reach, can't remember.)

Report as inappropriate
    ElliFry

10 post | 151 responses

Posted 22 March 12

Good to know I'm not alone, guys, thanks for joining in. Not heard about the Tuesday afternoon thingy yet Elli. Haha, KDBR, there IS only one John McCarthy (and one dear Sandi).
        Judging from the Ed's comments we'll get a chance to voice our opinions in a productive way soon...

Report as inappropriate
    Liz Cleere

81 post | 600 responses

Posted 23 March 12

You must be logged in to add to this post

myWanderlust

Welcome to our community

Member Login

Not a member?

Get more from Wanderlust - register today!

Search

Enter a region, country or destination

Find a member:

Most Popular Categories

select
select
select
select
Departure date:
Open the calendar popup.
Return date:
Open the calendar popup.
Date flexibility:
Spin UpSpin Down
Search

Need some travel planning inspiration?

Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.

Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking. Enjoy!

Search
Email

Wanderlust in your inbox

Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!

I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions

Submit