A to Z of Destinations
Australia, NZ and South Pacific
A to Z of Experiences
Walking and trekking
Diving and snorkelling
Wildlife and safaris
Meet the locals
Frontier and expedition
Cycling and Mountain Biking
Visiting the Poles
Career breaks and BIG trips
Body and soul
Volunteer and conservation
Australia, East Coast
Australia, West Coast
Everest Base Camp
Trans-Siberian and Trans-Mongolian railway
Cruising the Nile, Egypt
Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail
Climb Mount Kilimanjaro
Aurora Borealis/Northern Lights
13th October 2013
A new study reveals where the most intimidating border officials work, with the US, UAE and Mexico topping the list
The study, based upon travellers' opinion, found that the US has the most intimidating staff on show at airports and borders. Travellers cite a 'lack of humour', 'intimidating demeanour' and 'obvious weaponry on show' as three main reasons for unease when entering a country. The official's uniform and scanning equipment also featured as factors.
Those who took part in the study were first asked, 'When travelling, do you ever feel intimidated by border staff in airports?' to which 61% admitted that 'yes' at some stage they had felt scared. The remaining 39% claimed never to have felt trepidation when going through border controls.
After being asked 'how they felt' when moving through security or border controls, 31% admitted a 'general sense on unease', while 27% said they often felt that they had 'done something wrong'.
The world's top 10 most intimidating border staff are from:
Do you agree with the survey's results? Or have you found another country more daunting on arrival? Post your thoughts and experiences below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login or get more from Wanderlust - register today!
United States travel essentials, including map of the USA, American holiday info, United States travel advice and articles on travel in the USA
Lifeblood to the Native Americans, battleground for the Civil War and Civil Rights Movement, birthplace of blues and inspiration to Mark Twain, a journey up the Mississippi tells a multitude of stories
Knocked down by failure, NASA astronaut Mike Massimino travels to the 'end of the world', Sagres in Portugal, when his dreams of space are on the line - only to be inspired by the world's great explorers
From tracking wolves in Yellowstone to kayaking with manatees in the Everglades, the USA is home to some of the world’s most iconic wildlife. Celebrate the US National Park Service turning 100 with a face-to-snout encounter using our expert guide to where’s best to see the Big 15...
As Concorde celebrates the 41st anniversary of the high speed plane's maiden commercial ﬂight from London Heathrow to Bahrain, we explore the places to see the plane displayed and ask: is the Concorde about to make a comeback?
England's new mountain, a unique solar eclipse, Kenya's new elephant sanctuary and more... in our October round-up of Adventure Travel News. Plus, the latest new airline routes.
Twiddling your thumbs, waiting for the weekend? Enter our caption competition instead...
Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking
for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.
Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private
and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking.
Up to £300 discount to travel Bangladesh
18 Days in Bangladesh from £1,590 per person or less
20% off Norway Arctic Expedition Cruise - Save up to £1,100!
Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web
exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!
I have read and agree to the Terms &
Where in the world are you? Add
#wanderlustmag to your tweets and share your latest travel adventures with
fellow Wanderlusters on wanderlust.co.uk
Get to know Wanderlust on facebook and bring all your travel-minded friends, too